Tuesday, July 6, 2010

No, your Honor, I really am incompetent

Client, in holding, after spending an exorbitant amount of time discussing his case and why he's guilty and what his options are : "I want to plead guilty. I did everything the complaint says. I just want this to be over with."
Me: [goes through rights client is giving up and the process for pleading guilty - i.e., very difficult concepts like admitting guilt to the judge. Also spends an exorbitant amount of time arguing with the prosecutor to get a plea agreement pending on Client pleading guilty.]

- ten minutes later -

Judge: "Counsel, your client is prepared to plead guilty? You've spoken with him about this, he understands his rights, he understands the process and he is prepared to move forward?"
Me: "Yes, your honor."
Judge: "Client?"
Client: "I don't know what she's talking about. I didn't do nothing!"

I love my job.

1 comment: